Yesterday Was Better – A Fun Bible Object Lesson for Your Kids
- by katvincent
As Christians, I think many of us have points in our lives to which we could go back. Job certainly did. If anyone should have wanted to go back to the way things were in the past, I would think it was Job. But thankfully, Job learned to trust God like never before. I think he understood that his present day life could be just as joyous as his past. Your children may have longings for yesterday especially in regards to their friendship with Jesus. Here is a fun Bible object lesson to help them learn that if their relationship with Jesus isn’t as joyful as it used to be, they can learn to trust Him today for a new and renewed joy.
Here’s what you do:
The object you will use for this lesson will be a calendar.
Ask the following questions to help stimulate discussion:
1. What am I holding? (Wait for responses.) That’s right. It’s a calendar.
2. Who can tell me what they were doing last September? (Wait for responses.) Or how about last summer in July?
3. Is there a month where you wish you could go back to? And if so, why? (Wait for responses.)
4. Do you remember the story of Job and how he lost everything? (Remind the children of this story if they are not familiar with it.) If anyone should want to go back to the way things were in the past, I would think it was Job.
5. Now, how about your relationship with Jesus. Have any of you ever felt like you were closer to God in the past than you are today? (Wait for responses. If the children are having a difficult time with this question, you might give an example from your own life.)
6. Job said the following: “O that I were as in months past.” (NIV).
7. Say the following: Job may have wanted things to be the way they were, but by the end of the story he learned to trust God for his joy today.
8. Let’s learn a little more about this Bible verse from Job and learn how to apply it to our own lives. Here are 3 important points.
Point 1: Do you ever wish for things to be the way they used to be? Take for example your friendship with Jesus. Are you not feeling quite as close to Him as you have in the past? Do you feel like He’s far away and you wish you could be closer to Him again? Your friendship with Jesus used to be great and growing, but now life seems ho-hum.
Point 2: Maybe there’s a reason why you’re not as joyful about Jesus as you have been in the past. Here are some possible reasons to think about.
1. You haven’t been praying as much. Prayer is how we talk to God. If you don’t talk to your friends you lose interest in them. Talk to God. He loves hearing what’s on your heart.
2. Maybe other things more important than God have crept into your heart. This is called idolatry and it’s bad news. God wants and deserves first place in your life.
3. Or maybe you have been prideful lately thinking you don’t need God. You’ve decided you can live life on your own. Don’t be foolish. The Bible says that without God you can do nothing.
Point 3: So, do any of these reasons sound possible for your lack of joy in Jesus? If so, go to God. Tell Him how you’re feeling. Ask Him for the strength to walk closely with Him. Before you know it, you’ll be happy that it’s today and that yesterday is in the past.
This 3-Point Bible Object Lesson for Kids was inspired by my reading of C.H. Spurgeon’s devotional on Job 29:2 from his book Morning and Evening. You too can be inspired by your favorite Christian authors and come up with your own 3-Point Sermon for Kids.
Next, if you liked this Sunday School/Homeschooling idea, then sign up today to receive Scripture Lady’s Free Email Kid Tips packed full with creative ideas and receive 6 FREE Bible Review Games to help your kids get excited about the Bible!
Just click here: http://myfreebiblegames.com to receive your 6 FREE Bible Review Games today!