7 Sure-Fire Ways to Make Kids Feel Welcome
by Sam Luce
Sam Luce offers his methods for welcoming kids into his classroom and activities.
Here are 7 things I often tell our Uptown volunteers to do to make kids feel welcome. If we are not consistently thinking about what we can proactively do to help kids feel welcome,7 we won’t do it.
7 sure-fire ways to make kids feel welcome in church
- Talk to them how they talk to you – If they are shy, you need to be shy. If they are outgoing, be outgoing.
- Make fun of yourself – If you can make funny faces or do funny voices, that’s always a plus.
- Always stoop down to their level.
- Stay up on kid culture – Don’t ask them about The Littles or Duck Tails. Ask them about Phineas and Ferb.
- Give them things – stickers, candy, Bible bucks.
- Learn their names and their parents’ names.
- ALWAYS greet the kids before their parents.
Sam Luce has been the children’s pastor at Redeemer Church for over 13 years. A prolific blogger and popular children’s conference speaker, Sam has worked in children’s ministry for over 23 years and is also a contributing editor to K! magazine.More from Sam Luce or visit Sam at www.samluce.com